Community Outreach Coordinator
ArtsJunktion mb is a thriving community-based arts organization committed to reclaiming materials for creativity and community. Our mandate is to support the arts (support the creative community by providing materials and a creative space; provide art workshops with an emphasis on repurposed materials; support artists through promotion of their art and through fairly paid employment opportunities), and support the environment (reduce landfill waste by receiving materials from businesses, organizations, and individuals for distribution to the public; increase environmental awareness through community engagement and programming).
The Community Outreach Coordinator will oversee community outreach, depot operations, and the volunteer program, in keeping with ArtsJunktion’s mission and mandate.
Hours: 16-22 Hours/Week
Open depot hours (Tuesday-Thursday 1-5pm and Saturday 1-5pm); ArtHives (second and fourth Tuesdays and First Fridays in the Exchange from 5-9pm)
- Maintain and develop new community connections and networks to promote ArtsJunktion; expand ArtsJunktion’s community presence.
- Work with other organizations/individuals to support their use of the depot and Maker Space.
- Create a safe, welcoming depot environment (explain how the organization functions, show how to sign materials in and out); help artists and those from community organizations access resources and tools in Maker Space.
- Assist/organize the development of ArtHives (our free community crafting events); to welcome and support attendees and crafters; promote ArtHives to other community groups and organizations; collaborate with ArtHive Facilitator to plan and provide ArtHive events both in the depot and in other community venues.
- Co-ordinate pick-ups of materials and actively recruit new material donations from business partners.
- Explore new and creative ways for generating revenue (in collaboration with the Executive Director).
- Oversee and maintain the organization of the depot and materials.
- Maintain monthly booking calendar for events and workshops at the depot.
- Scrutinize incoming material donations with a critical eye with the objective of minimizing recycling and garbage output and redirecting materials as necessary; update and maintain Acceptable Materials list.
- Record and compile volunteer hours, and statistics of incoming/outgoing materials.
- Set up and clean up workshops.
Coordinate Volunteer Program
- Create ongoing volunteer recruitment campaign and application screening of suitable volunteers; provide orientation for new volunteers.
- Schedule volunteers and assign tasks using a needs-based approach; give guidance, direction and feedback; facilitate check-ins; help navigate conflict.
- Facilitate team-building activities with volunteers (including Volunteer Appreciation).
- Develop community sponsors for Volunteer Program (donations of coffee, tea, snacks).
- Communicate via phone and email with clientele, private donors, businesses, volunteers, support workers, community organizations, etc., managing and responding to all messages and inquiries.
- Work collaboratively with other staff and board members while being responsible to the Executive Director.
- Prepare monthly reports for board meetings and attend board meetings at the request of the board.
- Comply with all policies of ArtsJunktion.
- Other Duties as Required.
- Be an enthusiastic supporter of ArtsJunktion’s mandate.
- Have excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Have innovative ideas and leadership capacity for growing community networks.
- Have general computer skills.
- Have creative and environmental sensibilities.
- Have a critical eye for useful materials that would be of interest to clientele.
- Have a friendly, welcoming manner.
- Have experience working with volunteers from a variety of backgrounds.
- Have special events planning experience.
- Have experience in fund development for non-profits.
- Be comfortable lifting and standing for extended periods of time.
- Be flexible and able to respond to a number of demands in a timely and professional manner.
Please send ONE document including a cover letter, resume and three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 14, 2017. ArtsJunktion thanks all applicants for their interest but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.